- OpenAI has integrated DALL-E, its AI image generation tool, into ChatGPT’s chats, allowing users to generate images by prompting the system.
- Access to DALL-E’s image generation features requires a subscription to ChatGPT Plus or Team, which is not available with GPT-3.5.
- Users can access DALL-E in ChatGPT by starting a new chat, selecting ChatGPT 4, and entering a prompt starting with “Generate an image of…”
You no longer have to leave ChatGPT to generate AI images. OpenAI has integrated its flagship AI image generation tool, DALL-E, into ChatGPT’s chats. Thanks to this, you only have to prompt ChatGPT to generate an image, similar to how you would prompt it to generate text.
While prompting may be easy enough, we’ll show you how to know what GPTs in ChatGPT support DALL-E’s image generation. We’ll also tell you how to prompt ChatGPT to generate images when and how you want.
Sign Up for ChatGPT Plus to Access DALL-E
DALL-E’s image generation features on ChatGPT are locked behind OpenAI’s ChatGPT Plus (and Team) subscription. It’s just one of the many reasons you should consider upgrading to ChatGPT Plus. GPT-3.5 doesn’t have embedded image generation abilities, and you’ll be unable to access GPTs with DALL-E’s capabilities.
If you’re new to this, here’s how to upgrade your subscription on the web:
- Visit ChatGPT’s website and log in.
- Click the Upgrade plan button in the bottom-left corner of the side panel, just above your name.
- Choose Upgrade to Plus (or Upgrade to Team).
- Fill in your payment information and click Subscribe.
After doing this, you should now have access to DALL-E. It’s still a good idea to refresh your browser or log out and in again to make sure everything is in working order.
Unlike DALL-E 2, DALL-E 3 doesn’t have a standalone website for you to access, you can only access it officially through a ChatGPT subscription. And it’s better to pay for a versatile ChatGPT with superior image generation than to buy credits on DALL-E 2. We’d recommend you save DALL-E 2 for when you need an AI image at no cost or if you ever need to use DALL-E 2’s outpainting tool.
How to Use DALL-E in a ChatGPT Chat
Now that you have a ChatGPT subscription, you can now access GPT-4. Follow these instructions to get started:
- Start a new chat by clicking ChatGPT or New Chat.
- Check the top-left corner of the chat to ensure that it says ChatGPT 4. If not, click the dropdown and select it.
- Go down to the chat box and enter a prompt that starts with “Generate an image of…” or something similar.
- Feel free to use follow-up prompts to improve the image to get it exactly how you want.
You can download the image by clicking it and hitting the download button in the window’s top-right corner.
If you don’t want to use ChatGPT 4, you can use a dedicated DALL-E chat. Click Explore or Explore GPTs on the left-side menu. Look for DALL-E in the By ChatGPT section and click it. You can now follow the same instructions outlined above, or you can follow this link to open a DALL-E chat.
How to Use DALL-E in the ChatGPT App
For those who don’t know, ChatGPT has an app available on Android and iOS. Once downloaded and logged in, ChatGPT subscribers can access DALL-E just like they can on the web.
Here’s how to access DALL-E in the app:
- Open the ChatGPT app on your phone.
- Tap the menu button in the top-left corner of your phone’s screen (or just swipe right).
- Select ChatGPT and make sure it’s set to ChatGPT 4.
- Tap the chat box and begin your prompt by typing “Generate an image…” and following it up with the image you want it to generate.
- You can follow up with more prompts to fine-tune the image.
If you want to use DALL-E directly, open up the menu again, select DALL-E from the list, and follow the instructions outlined above. You can also share or download any of the images you get from here by tapping it and looking for a share button.
Download: ChatGPT for Android | iOS (Free, in-app purchases available)
The integration of DALL-E with ChatGPT simplifies the process of generating AI art. Follow this guide to effortlessly bring your ideas to life.